PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision over Southern Germany (merged)
Old 2nd Jul 2002, 10:45
Fox3snapshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Dealing with numerous Russion/Ukraine registered and operated aircraft here on a daily basis from An-12's right up to the big daddy An225 and every variety of Tupalov, Yak and Ilyushian, I can honostly say the aircrew are some of the most courteous and accomodating pilots we work with, far more so than quite a few of the western/sub continent/Asian and local operaters we deal with. The english and general operations have improved dramatically over the last few years. I will be the first to admit that it is important that sometimes extra effort is required to ensure the correct information has been absorbed but then this does not just apply to them.

It is far to early to make any reasonable conclusion on what has happened here and it is important to realize how many variables are to be addressed, including Comms, ATC Handover/Takeover procedures, ambiguous ATC instructions and mis-understandings, there is even possibility of an in-flight situation on the Tupalov that inhibited an immediate response.....and the list can go on.

Additionally my fear is that amongst Aircrew and ATC alike, to much emphasis and reliance is being placed on the TCAS system and on a daily basis the call "its OK I have him on TCAS" or more so the fact that pilots are trying to separate themselves or continually harass ATC about TCAS traffic that is under ATC control (especially on the climb or descent), is causing many a misunderstanding and unnessary RTF clutter.

Let all the facts be gathered, make no more speculation based on the typically innacurate and sensationalized media reporting and all will be revealed.

Regardless of who is at fault, there have been peoples lives destroyed, families destroyed and life long reputations to consider. Lets just show compassion at his stage and let the authorities sort the facts out. This is a trajedy for all of the world's aviatian community.

Last edited by Fox3snapshot; 2nd Jul 2002 at 10:50.