PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2010, 20:20
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline Alliances & Aer Arann rumoured link up...

So the media has been reporting earlier this year that Aer Lingus and Aer Arann will in some way work together, either code share/Aer Arann operate on behalf of Aer Lingus in particular markets/fully fledged franchise. It has also been suggested that Aer Lingus will look to join a Global Airline Alliance Grouping.

2 Questions-
1. Will Aer Lingus announce anything re Aer Arann prior to March 28th when the new season starts? I would have imagined that this would come quick enough given that they already do some interlining and ticketing arrangements on Dublin Cork for TA connections and the fact that Aer Lingus need to improve their situation.
2. The second probably more debatable issue is will Aer Lingus join an alliance and if so will OneWorld be the natural Choice? One would expect but what about Star or Skyteam?

Star-
Would the link with United pave the way for Star Alliance? Working with Lufthansa via Frankfurt (now given the reduced capacity on Dublin London Heathrow means not as dependent on BA for connections via LHR, although realise ex ORK and SNN they do need this more)
And Sas (who they dont compete with on CPH anymore?) could be good for some of Sas' longer routes?

Besides all this Aer Lingus could well maintain their relationship with BA for connections at LHR while at the same time joining Star. I would imagine One World would be the 1st call and Skyteam not likely to be a credible choice, with the importance of Cityjet on the main Dublin France route oppossite Aer Lingus. Any thoughts or comments? SAA joined Star some time back and I think the commentary was in the media that OneWorld would have been a better match for them?