PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision over Southern Germany (merged)
Old 2nd Jul 2002, 09:32
HercBird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC in there...

Condolences to all involved. Totally tragic.

From the news it appears that the Russian plane started the descent at the same time the DHL plane was descending due to TCAS. I am reserved in saying this as my only source is the media (not the most accurate in accident reports)...

Can someone confirm this ?

A few other questions, excuse the ignorance. I am not trying to second-guess the ATCs involved in this but, could they have not given the DHL a higher flight-level after the first couple of calls to the Russian plane ? What are the limitations of even a fully loaded 757 concerning max FL ? Or would it have just taken too long ? What about a turn ?

Also a couple of questions concerning procedures. Usually how long before a handover is the second ATC alerted ? Is it usual practice for an ATC to request from the previous ATC to give the plane an instruction before it is handed over ?

Again, excuse my ignorance, and I am not second guessing people, just questions that came up in my mind after having heard of this...