PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Air Traffic Controllers to be suspended
Old 20th Jan 2010, 15:21
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knowing nothing about this dispute it took me by surprise. So I was prepared to give the controllers the benefit of the doubt. But so far nothing is convincing me to think you controllers are the good guys in this one.

To suggest that this dispute is all about the suspensions is not credible. I've yet to see a decent sensible explanation as to why this new technology is so bad. Is it about the technology or is it about getting more money for using it. But then Viper pops in an say
The NEC would prefer if there was no thread or if no Irish Atcos were involved.
Radio silence has it's benefits too.
Ok Viper that to me sounds just a little arrogant. Make your case here. Explain to people at large the real motivation for what nosefirsteverytime rightfully describes as wildcat strike. Keeping quiet about it only reinforces the opinion that's there more to this than meets the eye. The notion that you are only doing this to protect the general public doesn't wash.

You and your union has woefully misjudged the public relations issues here. The IAA have judged it right in their media approach. You have failed and there is a strong risk you have over extended yourselves to the detriment of your members.

The public will judge it like this: Another arrogant unionised group of semi public service workers unable the grasp the economic realities, as they will see it.

While you claim the pay rise is nothing to do with it. Quite frankly the IAA think so. I mean for crying out loud 6%..................6 bloody percent. What planet are you guys living on? In my entire life of low pay and long hours. I never once got 6%, even at the height of economic boom and you guys think it's reasonable to get 6% after last December's budget was cutting people by 5% or more.

I'm seriously disappointed, you've blown it badly. This strike won't continue. It was a serious miscalculation and you fell for the management trap. Michael O'Leary must have a team in their advising them.