PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for ICUS
Thread: Paying for ICUS
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2010, 10:56
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Devil

My company doesn't offer ICUS, mainly because our ops (99% pax CHTR) aren't suited to it.

I offer the following questions as Devil's Advocate:

If I have a product to sell, and someone wants to buy it, why not?

No pilots are out of work because of it (I need to put a pilot on that run anyway)... why not?

If I have the capacity and systems in place to give someone ICUS... why not?

They win, we were flying there anyway, YES we make some additional revenue from the aircraft so we win too. Why not?

If that additional revenue means another bill paid and my pilots stay in work... why not?

I am not sure I can see a legitimate reason for your beef. People everywhere, in every industry, do the equivalent of paying for ICUS; it's called doing the hard yards to get ahead.

There also seems to be an insinuation that any company offering ICUS is automatically dodgy and must accordingly have low standards of training, questionable ethics and dubious parentage.

This isn't a perfect world, it's a dog-eat-dog world, and crying on PPRuNe aint going to change that.

Some of you just seem upset that little Johnny has paid the money and got ahead

If the ICUS is worth paying for (ie: you aren't just a seat warmer/refueller/cargo loader for a day) then word will get around. It can be good training.

If the ICUS is crap... if you don't actually get pole time... if you don't learn anything, word will get around then too.

In a previous life, I DID give 10-12 hours ICUS once as a favour on a survey tour in a C206. I will say this:

If you DO enter into an agreement to do ICUS with someone, at an agreed rate, do the honourable thing and PAY THE BILL

You know who you are.