PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 20th Jan 2010, 09:58
TorC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L337

Originally Posted by L337
Whilst everyone lines up to trash BA Cabin Crew, what almost all outsiders, and allot of BA employees chose to forget is how extraordinarily badly Cabin Crew in BA are managed. As a BA pilot married to CC I get to see it first hand. It is staggeringly bad, and to some extent BA are reaping what they have sowed. Sadly they are also appallingly led by BASSA as well.

All of this has led to a workforce, badly demotivated, and unhappy in almost every conceivable way. You bet changes need to happen, but it would be nice to see BA move away from the mushroom school of management.

All this finger pointing is very easy, but at the same time a finger needs to be pointed at BA management as well. They have not covered themselves in glory.
Sorry L337, but I don't quite understand your point.

I'm CC, and don't feel badly managed at all. I'm not demotivated or unhappy.

I do kind of get what you say about "mushroom management", but in a company the size of BA I think it'd be very hard to have a touchy-feely style, or at least to have it feel genuine, if that's what you are alluding to.

Whilst BA may not be ideal, I have worked under far worse conditions at other carriers. In one instance, I was micro-managed to the point of depression, with my every move being challenged, resulting in far less achievment than should have been the case.

I think a lot depends on the individual employees expectations. For me, BA provides me with what I need to do my job. Admittedly, the tools are not always perfect, but then I was employed partly due to my ability to find work-arounds and think on my feet. It's perfectly easy for me to feedback problems, and I have, in most cases achieved positive outcomes.

As to my day-to-day management, well again, for me, no problems there either. I have regular contact with my manager and have recieved some excellent support, both professionally and personally. It did take a while for this relationship to develope, but given the nature of this job, and the fact that we are a very large and quite a "distant" (ie: not in an office, at the same desk everyday) workforce, that's hardly surprising.

BA makes information readily and easily available to me via various chanels, yet I find that some of the unhappiest people I work with are those who seem pleased to announce that they don't read ess mails, CC News or BA News, and/or never speak to their manager.

I suppose that at the end of the day, it's a two-way street. Some of us have read the highway code, others haven't.