PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C130J just a strat aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2002, 06:30
Mike RO'Channel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am only repeating what J guys and others tell me! Tho', perhaps you are right - like the rest of the AT world, they have turned flying in a straight line into an art form!
As for the Tac workload trials - correct me if I'm wrong, but these were carried out by very experienced ex SF/Tac AT pilots on the JOEU, as a singleton, in China Lake or somewhere equally blessed with glorious sunshine, with no other ac to speak of and few obstructions and sharply defined big valleys.
Please try to imagine less able crews in the UK clag, leading a 4/6 ship amongst the shark-infested custard of the UKLFS while trying to run a Comao secenario with FRA/threats to contend with Spade. Oh, and don't forget to call X Approach for deconfliction - "oops watch out for the pylons, yikes was that a microlight or a c152 (obviously not squawking) - oh ******, fogot to call the DZ - dummy run"! When the JOEU can clear the scenario above, I might feel happier that my pals might just get from LFA 14 to LFA 2 without killing themselves. As it is they can't drop anything worthwhile yet anyway but the clearances should come in the next 10 yrs!

Sorry, its just not on for a long while yet. It doesn't mean it won't happen but IMHO there needs to be a third pilot/AEOp/WSO in the cockpit for such tasks - all Euro countries want such a bod in A400M - why do we think we are so smart when our trg system is so **** (a different thread, methinks)?
Is it a coincidence that half the crews crashed themselves in the sim while working up for Afghanistan - route flying with a steep approach at the end and nothing very complicated!?