PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More easyJet Pilot Slavery Deals - Oxford Aviation Academy
Old 20th Jan 2010, 08:44
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is really a matter of principles

I for one am appalled at the direction the industry is taking and like many of you see these chinless wonders as a threat to the longer term viability of this career.

For what its worth I faced a similar dilemma after paying my own way through Oxford (mid life career changer so no help from parents). After narrowly missing BA I was offered a self sponsored type rating by OATS for £16500 but they couldn't even confirm who the airlines were who had approached them (though I later learned it was BMI and Easy) Frankly after putting my family in hock for £64 000 already I decided to draw a line in the sand and say 'no'. I spent some 18 months working as an IT contractor while looking for flying job (£440 a day helped raise my spirits a lot!!) and eventually was offered a paid type rating by a well known turbprop operator. Full salary from day one induction, fully expensed hotel, hire cars and food all from day one and a 3 year bond which I have no objections to at all. I'm pleased to say that having some backbone didn't scupper my flying ambitions at all.

I've spent 3 years with them now and loved most of it. I've certainly benefitted from flying with many highly experienced Captains (we take a lot of DEC). In fact flying with the old stagers is something I love doing. We do have BALPA representation and while our terms and conditions aren't up there with the best and more dosh would be nice I do feel I could have ended up in worse places.

What I'm really trying to say is that there are still decent operators out there who do things the old fashioned way but manage to remain competitive - it isn't necessary for employers to screw employees for every last dime and it isn't necessary for wannabe pilots to prostitute themselves on the altar of aviation - indeed if you do I guarantee that you will eventually come to regret it.

I'm genuinely sad to see Easy (an airline I have always had a great respect for) head down this road. One question though -am I right in saying the CAA monitor experience levels on an operator by operator basis and don't like too many inexperienced pilots in any particular airline?? Surely these training contracts are going to dilute experience levels at Easy in the coming years?

Lets hope for better times,

Desk-pilot