PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Impossible Speed
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2010, 08:36
Wranga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impossible Speed

G'day all,

Posted this up in the JB forum and was advised that this would probably be a better location for this topic.

Having just completed my pilot training I embarked on an exercise of greater understanding on the mechanics/physics behind flight, more specifically heavy aircraft and the design principles they are built on.

During my intellectual study I came across, unfortunately, an article and subsequent video's and forum posts from other sites from 9/11 "Truthers" claiming that UAL 175's estimated speed upon impact of the WTC, approximately 500kts, is impossible. They then back up their arguments with some pretty interesting points about aircraft structure and citing design speeds like Vmo and Vd. On a side note which I don't really want to discuss is that it seems alot of them then go on to peddle their theory that no aircraft struck the WTC which to me is quite stupid.

I know that 9/11 conspiracy theories are a pain in the arse, but i'd like to open up a thread discussing the design characteristics and limits of aircraft and how "set in stone" they are.

I'll get the ball rolling based on my almost non-existant knowledge on aircraft engineering.

Design speeds and limits of aircraft, according to my understanding, seem to be purely numbers that are calculated and ultimately can never be tested on actual aircraft (ie testing the speed at which the aircraft will undergo structural failure is obviously stupid). I assume, ofcourse, that using known data on mechanical and structural strength of the materials, and through wind tunnel testing and ultimately controlled flight testing, they are calculated. How solid are these numbers? Obviously exceeding set safety limits such as Vmo can result in damage to an aircraft, which is why there are safety buffers on these speeds, but does exceeding guarentee immediate structural failure or do environmental factors and how the aircraft is handled play a major part?

Any thoughts from pilots, engineers and maintenance crew? Sorry Flight Attendants, don't think your knowledge base covers this topic

P.S. I'm gonna have to emphasis my VERY limited knowledge on how aircraft are designed, manufactured and tested. So if you can understand what i've stated above... I must be doing something right.

Cheers