PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2010, 03:03
Jamie J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runway Incursion

Does anyone have any details of the latest runway incursion at HKG by HKA at the weekend?

Even before this incident it seemed unlikely that the CAD was going to approve the A330 operation/routes. This would be the biggest concern if I was thinking of joining HKA. For the first few years after the 737s arrived at HKA (HKE was the same) new recruits were on reduced pay for more than 6 months because they were never checked to line.

Any new operation will not be able to give good hours to pilots because they need to have the pilots ahead of the aircraft delivery and the routes and rosters are very inefficient until the operation has matured. This means that you will not get many hrs and not much pay since half of the pilots pay is related to duty.

This assumes that the A330 (or is it A320?!) operation will get approval, which I really believe, will not happen.

As I've said before as a pilot thinking of joining, other questions you need to ask yourself are;

1. Do you trust that the contract you sign and the promises you are made, will be honoured?

2. Do you want the bad reputation of this company to be attached to you by having it on your CV? (The latest incident suggests that it is just a matter of time before HKA has a major incident or accident unless the CAD tightens up).