PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flexwing microlight crash, pilot killed.
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2010, 21:40
sleemanj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my point of view, using this website as a source of information, and given that i'm a 30 hours PPL student, I would be very interested to know peoples opinions on the chances of this trip being conducted safely. Given that the trip would have to be purely VFR and given the weather conditions recently, would a trip like this be considered as a high risk exercise?
Off topic, but...

Many, MANY have done such trips, including in flexwings.

The book "Freedom Flight" ( Ricky de Agrela, Alan Honeyborne ) is a good read about a world flight undertaken in flexwings which included actually flying through China (pretty well unheard of).

Two pilots died on that trip, but as always, it wasn't the trip that killed them. Poor decisions, unfortunate circumstance, these are things that can (as evidenced here right in this thread) happen right at your doorstep just as easily as 20,000 Km away.

Most recent similar trip (in microlights) I remember is a recent attempt using RANS Coyotes, umm, Australia back to Poland I think from memory, I don't know if they completed the trip (or maybe they are still on the way). Was last year I think.

The book by Cliff Tait, "Flight of the Kiwi" is also a good one if you're considering a long distance flight like this.

One day, one day... dreams are free.