PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - assisting disabled passengers in an emergency
Old 19th Jan 2010, 21:26
Thames virtual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
assisting disabled passengers in an emergency

My husband and I have just had an excellent flight LHR - Miami and back courtesy of Virgin Atlantic. My husband is completely deaf and walks with great difficulty with crutches (he uses a wheelchair to the aircraft door, but can walk from the door to his seat if given lots of time). Getting up from the seat is a major performance, even with a bulkhead seat for extra legroom! On loading we get on first, and on unloading get off last, which suits us fine.

I was wondering what happens if there is an emergency, such as a crash, where everyone has to get out quickly. And I know we're not supposed to carry anything with us on the slides, but if he doesn't take his crutches, he won't be able to walk/stagger away at the bottom.

What do you expect the disabled person and any accompanying person to do in an emergency landing, and what are the cabin staff able to do to help, given that they'll have rather a lot on their plate?

TV

Last edited by Thames virtual; 19th Jan 2010 at 21:26. Reason: typos