PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 19th Jan 2010, 20:54
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JW411:
I would not expect to sit as a passenger in the back of an aircraft behind anyone who could not hand fly the thing using raw data down to minimas with one engine out and then complete a circling approach procedure and land safely.
Neither would I, because I would steer clear of any operator that encourages any such enterprise. Circling approaches with one engine out, at minima do not belong in the realms of todays heavy jet line operations; simply because the "average joe" (a category to which I believe most of us belong), simply do not do it often enough in normal ops to maintain any reasonable degree of proficiency, (and I'm speaking of airline ops, not "bush flying", no offence to Ryanair crew; they are probably good at it because they are doing it all the time, just as I used to do at one time in old 737 classic days. Autothrottle? Flight Director? What was that? Who needs 'em?! Didn't have them in the Phantom either!).

Nowadays, I'll do a circling approach once in a while on a sim recurrency and that's it. But to do it for real? Fortunately, it has been rarely needed at the places I fly to, but if the case arose, I'm afraid that I would be heading off to more favourable pastures to await an improvement in conditions, and I'm sure my pax would apprecate that, rather than some white knuckle ride round a circling pattern at low level in poor vis with terrain around. Now, if I was boxed in and had no choice, of course I would do it, but throw in some fatigue, pucker factor and the lousy weather that caused one to end up in that situation, then it would most likely not be pretty. Many accidents in the past attest to these simple facts.

You mention the NDB 13 at old Kai Tak; great for the HKG regulars, but for the occasional visitor, with no "local knowledge", it was asking for trouble. Did it once; ATC offered it instead of the full IGS (good wheeze maybe, to see what happened to this newcomer in supposedly CAVOK, except it wasn't, in the summer haze) and I swore never to do it again, simply because my "databank" of visual cues was nonexistent, and the turn onto finals was a little later than planned, (didn't a 747 end up flying down the harbour off this approach? Turned at the wrong island!).

Similarly with JFK 13 Carnarsie; no big deal for the HomeTown boys, but another matter for those that come across it once in a blue moon; at least we have a good look at it in the sim these days, but in a heavy 744 with marginal wx, it's a handful in the real life situation; miss the hotel and your bank angle has triggered an alert. FDAP has a field day here with unstabilised approaches; indeed, exceptions have to be made from the normal limiting parameters where you get a letter from the office to "please explain this approach.....".

The reality is: the "good old days" of "intrepid ace aviator" are over (and the present, much reduced, accident rate bears witness to that). Like it or not, the age of automation is here to stay, together with the era of FDAP, RNP, RVSM and whatever else the lawyers and engineers and beancounters want to come up with. No point kidding ourselves. My company has a great policy; vis below 2000 metres? Autoland recommended; and why not? What are we trying to prove?

My advice; when the weather is sh*t, ALWAYS use the automatics and exercise your LVP skills. For example, if the weather is close to CAT 1 limits, set up for a CAT 2/3 approach and then you will never be surprised.

If the weather is reasonable then use EVERY opportunity to hand fly and use raw data as OFTEN as you can - don't get lazy - you can't afford it.
Agree absolutely, however,..

AirRabbit

Also, I whole-heartedly agree with those here who make it a point to jump on those who want to “play” or “have fun” experimenting with the airplane with passengers on board. That is a supreme NO NO. While simulators are not airplanes … we have to admit that they are a very good approximation of airplanes – and they’re getting better at doing so, every day. My position is to use the training equipment to practice, play, and learn. Yes, it can be fun – and it should be. But because all of us are capable of making mistakes – let’s make sure that we use every opportunity to minimize the mistakes we make with passengers on board. Let’s make sure that we practice and experiment in the simulated environment. Once we have developed the skills to operate the airplane using the systems available – then we can operate the airplane using what we've learned and practiced.
Say no more.......