PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence is at a crossroads - The Times
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2010, 16:47
pr00ne

Received 140 Likes on 65 Posts
GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU,

No, I am not suggesting that the armed forces should only exist if they are being used, that would be palpable nonsense!

What I am suggesting is that cutting back the number of Air Defence squadrons to the number of Lightning squadrons that were apparently deemed to be OK for the majority of the Cold War, and its peak period, is OK. Do we need aircraft carriers any more? Not sure if we do as we have only ever needed them once in 50 odd years after all.

The capabilities are not being cut by politicians, they are being offered up as cuts by the senior uniformed chappies in the 3 services. If THEY think we can reduce accordingly then who am I to argue?

The simple truth is that we are never going to have to fight another Battle of Britain or Battle of the Atlantic, or defend against a mass armoured thrust into Europe, so the size and scope of the armed forces can and indeed should change to face the new reality.

Every other western nation is doing the same. The only nations with armed forces that are not being drastically reduced are India and China, massive countries with huge populations who are many MANY miles away and present us with absolutely no threat what so ever.