PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Became of the Last Mustard Gas Delivered to the RAF
Old 19th Jan 2010, 15:26
ColinB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[/QUOTE] see that there was a 1,000-lb "N" cluster scheduled for bomb ballistic trials at Woomera in 1955. Contained 52 x 10-lb bomblets. Apparently an alternative to the 1,000-lb "N" bomb. I'm sure I've also seen this weapon referred to as the "Toxic bomb" - I suspected an Anthrax bomb. But maybe the same weapon you refer to ?

Do you know whether they actually produced the 10,000 bomb casings ? I've seen huge orders for other bombs in same period and most ended up being cancelled before production.[QUOTE]
Your "N" cluster bombs were almost certainly Anthrax. The standard bomblet was 4-lb but I will check on 10-lb also.
Anthrax bombs were tested live at Gruinard and Penclawdd in 1942/43. There was a further test at Shingle Street by Porton Down in March 1943 but they state that Wintergreen was used instead of Mustard/Anthrax. There is doubt concerning this and the Shingle Street file is closed until 2013?.
There were definitely 12,000 plus 1,000 -lb mustard gas bombs manufactured and charged at Randle in 1955. 2,000 of them were shipped to Norton Disney and the remaining ones stored in the K buildings at Randle.
It is most exciting to find someone actually was aware of a practical "Toxic Bomb" in the field.