PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flexwing microlight crash, pilot killed.
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2010, 14:33
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my point of view, using this website as a source of information, and given that i'm a 30 hours PPL student, I would be very interested to know peoples opinions on the chances of this trip being conducted safely. Given that the trip would have to be purely VFR and given the weather conditions recently, would a trip like this be considered as a high risk exercise?
.. .. .. leaving aside this incident totally.

Yes. I think the trip is entirely possible and has been done before in all sorts of light(er) aircraft.

Today there are two aspects to a trip such as this.

Firstly of course the weather. Well the weather doesnt really change that much wherever you are. Of course there are geographical differences - challenges to be met in the tropics that you almost certainly dont find in more temperate zones and visa versa. Having flown a fair bit in the WI, Africa and the US in light aircraft you will never experience quite the same thermal activity in the UK for example. As ever a understanding of the weather and a committment not to push your own limits will keep you safe enough most of the time.

Second, logistics. This is likely to be a more significant challenge! There will be a raft of logistics in obtaining appropriate clearances, up to date charts, landing permissions, fuel, and of course maintenance. There are companies that will do it all for you but it takes time, effort, planning and knowledge. Most of us can happily get around most of Europe without too many issues but the onward route logistically would be a great deal more challenging.

Deadlines will inevitably arise whether it be because permitts are about to expire or funds are running out. It is easy to say these should never be a factor but that would be to ignore the reality of trips like this. Of course they are a factor, the trick is balancing the risk against the pressures - not always easy.

For the absolute avoidance of doubt I am NOT making any judgement about this man's call as I have no real idea of the circumstances it is simply a general observation in reply to your question.