PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2010, 14:12
Zeffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a HUD salesperson

If in this accident the lateral transition from an offset LOC in restricted visibility due to heavy rain, and with a tailwind which might have equated to an additional 1.5 deg ‘air-mass’ flight-path, perhaps the pilot was experiencing high workload in a restricted timeframe. This might not be determined beyond supposition by an investigation. More likely other pilots could comment on similar experiences, good or bad, not just quoting a HUD ‘sales’ pitch, but providing first-hand examples with reasoned argument; there may be something which we can learn, so that we might continue to operate safely.

Alf -- do you have extensive experience with HUD?

What is meant by "..might have equated to an additional 1.5 deg 'air-mass' flight-path"?

None of my HUD-posts were intended as sales pitches. I was simply trying to explain how the GS reference line and the airspeed deviation cues
are presented in the combiner.

While the GS reference line is "anchored" to the airplane, the displayed image is conformal to planet earth. I'm not following the "additional 1.5 deg air-mass" part. Would you mind elaborating?

Thanks,
Z