PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 19th Jan 2010, 10:42
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's cost, pure & simple. I heard that one major player discourages visual approaches, and if they are contemplated, then they are flown using VNAV/LNAV and perhaps the automatics. The visual approach is there to same time/fuel/money, but there have been so many cock-ups that the subsequent G/A cost much more than it might have saved. Solution is to let the VNAV guide you to the threshold and correct height & speed. In the past the solution was training. It was the common thing on the line, especially the Greek islands, to use Mk.1 eyeball and hand fly. The VNAV was in your brain. This was on the job training. Now, the cost of such training in the sim, and then taking it to the line is too expensive. not enough crews anyway. The cost of on the job experience is too many G/A's or incidents. Solution is the lowest cost one (and some would say safest), avoid the scenario alltogether.
Then comes the scenarios that JW411 and others talk off. The manure has hit the air-con and it's left to smarty pants to sort it out. The first part is to understand that it's going to worms, perhaps understand why, and then chose a good option. After that, some hand flying skills might be useful. Often, with less total experience up front than was required just for command, and a career of robotic zombie trained monkey stuff, I have my doubts of the outcome of such an event. In a couple of generations the captains will not have the ability to demonstrate on the job training and the circle of decline will be complete. RIP piloting. Space Cowboys should be compulsory viewing for all CAA's and HOT's. (If anyone has a link to Tommy Lee Jones polling the shuttle down to land, please send it to this thread.)
If the airlines satisfy the minimum training requirement laid down by CAA's they will. We all know it is always a mixture of minimums & maximums. Any improvement has to come from the top down. Don't hold your breath.