PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 19th Jan 2010, 09:47
Clarified

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good'ay Henkybaby

He also demonstrates that the job of FA can be learned in two weeks...
Henkbaby, nice to see you on the forum again. Please allow me to make one comment re. the above.
Two weeks would be enough time for mandatory training, safety/medical but would not include any customer service input.
Our new cabin crew spend over half of their initial training in customer service and then are assessed during there first 6 months of flying on all aspects of their new role.

My experience is that you learn mandatory training quickly, although it is updated regularly. Looking after customers and appropriately dealing with their needs is a constant learning experience. (The demographic on just one flight normally includes all age groups, many different religions and cultures, dietary needs, families, people travelling for holiday, business, sad reasons, never flown before, new immigrants, very nervous travellers, frequent flyers, VIP's, children travelling on their own, people who speak different languages etc).

It's a very special skill to be able to relate to all of these people, a lot of people don't have it. Being able to form and work with a unique team each time you fly also requires a certain type of individual.
Our cabin crew are very talented, they naturally undertake caring for all the people I have mentioned and ensure their well being and safety everytime.

Right now we are in unchartered waters, asking for volunteers to work along side current crew gives our customers and operation more certainty.
Those who volunteer will be very welcome, other posters have already said similar.
If it does come to that, I think it'll be a great opportunity to get to know others in the BA family and appreciate what we ALL do to contribute to its longterm success and at the moment getting it through a very difficult time.

I think that's the only goal in all of this.

(My thoughts only, they do not represent my employer or any other party)