PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 19th Jan 2010, 07:55
Andu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a sim - it must be 10 years ago at least - where we were given a double ADIRU failure, which left us with a basic aeroplane to fly - no AP, no FD, no speed tapes, nothing but the basic instruments - but a full panel, with AI, ND available.

It's always been my habit to let the FO fly during non-normals (after the initial actions) and I handle the emergency procedures, talk to the cabin crew etc. However, in this case, my FO, (an ex cadet who went straight from his initial training to the 777), was totally unable to hand fly the aircraft.

I had to take over - from what was approaching an unusual attitude - and have the FO handle the checklist while I flew the aeroplane.

I'd be guessing that today, there are an ever increasing number of newer pilots who fly the line today who'd be in a similar situation to my ex-cadet FO. And not just new ones. The Adam Air captain 'lost it', putting the aircraft into a spiral dive in less than 30 seconds when trying to fly on the standby instruments.