PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: To hand fly, or use the automatics?
Old 19th Jan 2010, 05:01
framer

Received 480 Likes on 129 Posts
It's an interesting problem....how would a remote controlled a/c deal with things like this; you're cleared to line up, the wind changes and there are 40 birds sitting on the strip 200 meters in front of you, the cabin crew ding dong to say that the guy in row 23 won't stow his bags and is walking about the aisle. I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just wondering how it would be done, would the wind change be adjusted for by the remote pilot who has the info on the screen in front of him/her? would the birds be detected by a runway radar and the info passed onto the remote controller? Would the cabin crew ding dong the remote controller rather than the tech crew? If that is the case and the remote controller leaves the a/c sitting on the threshold for an extra 2 mins while this stuff is being sorted then who tells the remote controller of the a/c on a 6nm final that he needs to go-around and what happens if there is any sort of comms failure?
There may be good/easy answers to these questions but I think they will cost a lot of money....eg this poor chap getting bombarded with info in his bunker by radio might as well be sitting in the flight deck. There would be little cost savings in salary as pilots are already approaching salaries that are near national averages in many countries. Framer