PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iran Air off runway at Arlanda
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2010, 04:19
framer

Received 483 Likes on 130 Posts
Canadair,
I think i too might disagree with me on that point ha ha.....I'm not sure though. In real life I know I am very aware of thrust assymetry at low speeds (737) , even just from spool up and TOGA , but I have flown with quite a few guys/gals that seem to not worry about it much and take a fairly cavalier attitude towards setting the thrust even in crosswinds. I know of one 737-800 that departed the runway a year or so ago with no failure whatsoever, they just didn't take care in setting the thrust and hit TOGA while still turning and Bingo....off the strip. Also I probably didn't make it very clear in my post but when I said that the pilots were expecting a problem at a higher speed I was referring to a mind-set for the simulator where most of the failures occur around V1. Therefore they are a bit caught out with the low speed failure.
Mike;
Glad it helped, with topics like these there is always conjecture over the finer points. It's one reason why they are educational to pilots young and old, you get to see different points of view. I'm actually a little surprised that nobody has disagreed with my definitions of the speeds considering I was quite rough and ready in the explanations and wasn't quoting directly from a book. you'd be amazed at how many different points of view there can be on a fairly black and white subject.
Have a good day, Framer