PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 18th Jan 2010, 18:41
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am simply astounded by some of the stuff that I am reading here. I first got involved in "really automatic" aeroplanes (triplex autoland) in 1972 after having already flown for 12 years of professional aviation. I retired at the age of 65 in 2006.

I would not expect to sit as a passenger in the back of an aircraft behind anyone who could not hand fly the thing using raw data down to minimas with one engine out and then complete a circling approach procedure and land safely.

If you can't do that then you are deluding yourself in thinking that you are a professional pilot and I can tell you that you are going to be as much use as tits on a bull when the sh*t hits the fan.

The closest I have got to death in aeroplanes is when the bizarre happens. In other words, when you find yourself in a situation that you don't have time to consult the QRH, (FCOM, call it what you will) and even if you did, it gives you no guidance whatsoever. Believe me, that has happened to me a couple of times.

I am pleased to report that I manage to survive my long flying career thanks to the excellent teaching of the Royal Air Force and many other notables thereafter to retire and enjoy a final salary scheme pension unscathed. I was still teaching in the simulator until recently and I simply would not sign anyone off unless they could meet the above requirements.

Not only that, but I would expect them to display similar skills in the real aeroplane during line training.

Interestingly enough, it is my understanding that Ryanair crews do more non-precision approaches and circling approaches into "minor airfields" than any other operator in Europe (excluding Russia perhaps).

Now, that is my sort of flying, where every day is a challenge. I always loved the old NDB approach from Cheung Chau to Stonecutters and then to the Checker Board to 13 at Kai Tak (not the cissie thing that came along later - I think they called it the IGS).

Getting one of Mrs Windsor's Argosys into Bait-al-Falaj when I had been told that it was impossible was also good fun and the Carnasie VOR approach to JFK in a DC-10 made an otherwise dull day just a bit more satisfying.

My advice; when the weather is sh*t, ALWAYS use the automatics and exercise your LVP skills. For example, if the weather is close to CAT 1 limits, set up for a CAT 2/3 approach and then you will never be surprised.

If the weather is reasonable then use EVERY opportunity to hand fly and use raw data as OFTEN as you can - don't get lazy - you can't afford it.