PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iran Air off runway at Arlanda
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2010, 14:37
canadair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Framer,
must disagree with you on a point.

"I'm told is because pilots are generally not expecting it then, they are waiting for the problem to occur at high speed and they don't react quickly enough to retard the thrust levers."

I am not aware of anyone who is complacent to an engine failure at low speed.
In my case, in the 747, it is quite critical to lose an outboard at low speed, in particular relative to wind.
At 60-80Kts with a mid to light airplane and max or close thrust, it is very hard to keep on the runway, much harder than at higher speeds, as a result we are highly observant at all points from initial thrust set to V1, and of course no less so above.
But we are certainly extremely aware of the weights, thrust, conditions, wind, and potential for failure.
I think you will find most pilots are exactly the same, primed for failure at any point.

In the case above, they obviously lost thrust, (potentially up to 66%) as its a twin, experienced the resultant yaw, perhaps had a less than optimum runway surface in the equation, and while the NW may have departed the surface, it looks like they did get it back, and well done to them.