PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DGCA reprieve on deadline to phase-out expat pilots
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:45
jimmygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll stick my neck out and say this is probably good for Indian aviation in the long run. (even if it means DGCA milking the cow for some more time). It may not free up jobs as soon as we thought for the entry level CPL. But a good move as far as safety goes. Experience counts for a lot. Hours cannot be replaced with anything.
1. FAA requires Just under 200 hrs for CPL if done in a Part 141 Flight School. As opposed to the 250 hrs requirement for pilots not attending part 141 Schools. A clear example of good training replacing a few hours. There is something which can replace hours at least.

2. We all may agree that benefits of experience (hours) are should be represented by a monotonously increasing curve. Shouldn't this curve go near flat at a certain number of hours.

3. It is hard to prove that this move is going to do any good or bad. This move though is an indication of lack of foresight on part of DGCA, which I hope all will agree that will only do bad for Indian Civil Aviation.

4. @WannabeFlyer, You are right not all is about money. There are things other than money. In this particular case DGCA doesn't make all the money (as indicated by Left Wing), and considering the nature of DGCA, I doubt if they care about any money earning or saving. But still
When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. (As long as you are not in Africa. )