PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:29
alisoncc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memories of some events are good, events that may not have been at the time. Like as a lowly J/T fresh out of training being given a checklist and told to run up all the kit on an aircraft on the line. With no one tellling me it was no-no to test the ECM during Auntie Beebs evening news. There I was happily jamming all radio and TV broadcasts for a fifty mile radius in the early evening and the phones were starting to run hot. I am quite sure I was set up.

There was a story doing the rounds that a Vulcan on a nav exercise to Goose had diverted to Washington, switching on their ECM before hitting the coast, and then switching it off over Capitol Hill. Apparently it caused some diplomatic consternation.

Recently watching a DVD of "Battle for the Skies - V Force", the narrator stated that Vulcans on QRA were designed to just go, with all external power connections pulling out of their own accord. Almost killed myself laughing as memories came flooding back of swinging on the 115v 400Hz and 28vDC power cables in an attempt to dislodge them from the aircraft. When they were pushed in totally they did not come out easily. And if the aircraft had attempted to taxi away it would have taken the Houchin with it. That would have been an interesting sight with a Vulcan reaching V1 and attempting to rotate with a Houchin still attached.

They were good times.