PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage in Australia
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:27
dash 27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been round the traps

Hello floaters.

I think this is getting a little blown out of proportion. Firstly the comment on the bottom of the first post was not in inverted commas and appears to be the opinion of the author of this topic. Secondly and racial slurs might be tongue in cheak as there is a Japanese guy flying there at the mo. And thirdly a post on a Canadian web site, even if it's written badly, might be bringing an opportunity to an industry that shuts down for the cold season. Australia has hosted and will continue to host float visas to canadians who have experience on floats because we don't have the industry they do. They have a summer season and a winter. The winter guys start looking for the next seasons work. And it can be at home or global. It's their choice. It's transient here. It's a small industry that has it's old school circle of owner operators/check n trainers and the odd lifer floater. Every one else eventually moves on when the cycle shifts to the up turn. I never had the burning urge to fly jets but when the money, lifestyle and security outweighed the next float layoff I took the chance all be it kickin and screening. I have worked with some very capable canadians and with rising insurance premiums in an experience shrinking industry us as Aussies should be grateful for the Canadian intervention if it helps the industry. I flew twin otters in the Maldives after thinking I was bulletproof flying esturies and reefs here only to be very humbled sitting next to some very experienced old school canadians. It's with that experience and I and other floaters who've been there offer this post.