PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW5603 - BmiBaby 5603, EMA-BFS, Cancelled 17/01/10
Old 18th Jan 2010, 09:30
Gibon2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How far does a weather delay reach?

There's an interesting wider question here. For compensation purposes, when and where does an originally weather-related delay or cancellation stop being related to the weather?

Obviously, if your flight is cancelled because the airport you are departing from is closed because of snow, that is weather-related, so no compensation.

I'm guessing that most airlines would also argue that if due to weather the aircraft operating your flight is unable to leave its airport of origin to fly to your point of departure, that is also a weather-related cancellation, so no compensation.

But how far does this extend? If a flight is cancelled because 48 hours ago on the other side of the world, bad weather prevented a departure and messed up aircraft and/or crew positioning, does that still count?

I was recently booked on a BA flight from Sydney to Bangkok that was delayed by over 12 hours because of the bad weather in London. The weather in Sydney was fine, and the actual weather delay had occurred a long time ago, at an airport far, far away. As it happened, I was able to get on another flight, but I wondered what BA's position on compensation would have been.