PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ooo...a Compaq. That's sure to be good.
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2010, 05:01
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Ooo...a Compaq. That's sure to be good.

My old HP was beating me. Costs far too high to be worth upgrading. Today, I got a Compaq.

Go back 20 years. One of my few sales failures in Colchester wanted a Compaq. He was willing to spend 85% of his firm's budget on just having that name on his desk. I offered a much more powerful CAD workstation, with the new 21" screens, for the same price as his 386 PC. And, he had to pay SIX HUNDRED QUID for a math's co-processor. My PC today was $385 with DDR3 memory. Sexy? Not really.

"Are you sure there's a computer in that box?" The Rivetess asks. "It looks so light."

It was. About the same weight as a feather.

Open box, sit down, rest head on hands and look glum. Who the #$$#^@$ made that . . . a nine-year old in grade-school metalwork? Pop rivets abound. (sounds like a relative) ONE screw to get it apart. Sharp bendy bits to catch the unwary.

Another 230 watt PSU. No DVI. Crap graphics with an NviDia nameplate. And, an otherwise almost empty case. I want substance to my computers. A bit of weight to the machine. A carefully inserted brick will do, but not just air. What would Babbage have said? Probably treated it with total indifference. Geddit?

I didn't even plug it in. Save the tekkies a job or two when they get it back tomorrow.