PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End of a distinguished career?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2010, 01:03
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Beagle, are you serious? A navigator is not a substitute for EGPWS, not even slightly. Let it continue as a tanker, a job for which it is more suited. It's just a shame they scrapped all those Ks!!
I thought the Nav was there to counteract the weight of the Airloadmaster down the back end............

When I came off the in the late 80's we were seriously struggling for spares them, then the place, the name of which escapes me, burnt down which held a lot of the spares.
So we had to rob the hulks at Abingdon, what a place to store them, not exactly Arizona is it.. then they put them in bags with no dehumidifiers, ( though I believe one Engineering officer kept pushing it and told them they needed them) that helps all that moisture in, I was even more amazed when they decided to refurb them and flew them out of there having seen the spars sitting in their own swimming pools........... Jeez those crew earned their money...............

One of the best aircraft I ever worked on and was always a pleasure to fly in......... but they must be seriously suffering these days, fuel consumption, noise, lack of budget and age...

I still cannot see why the RAF do not simply lease some of the 737-900's that are parked up at Lasham from airlines that have gone bust in the short term.... I just hope some of the 10's find a loving home other than a scrapyard.