PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fighter Controllers looking to switch to the Civilian side
Old 1st Jul 2002, 19:19
stopbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BC

I was also mil but on the ATCO side also a FISO none of which counted for much other than a two week dispensation to do some of the book work from home. I approached the training with an open mind, knowing it would be difficult and different. I was not disapointed!!! It was much more difficult than I had imagined as the empathsis is very different from mil rules although the basics are the same. There has been much talk in recent years of some sort of credit for mil work but don't hold your breath, you'll be drawing your pension (old age not military) by the time it happens primarily because the mil would lose all their controllers. My advice would be get sponsered or taken on by NATS, I didn't and it cost £20K but was worth every penny and I don't regret a minute, so if your keen get out there and do it. As an aside it you may find it useful to get a FISO licence and validate it as it would give you some idea of visual control room work, although not phraseolgy. Good luck.