PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence is at a crossroads - The Times
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2010, 20:54
Guzlin Adnams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just a civvy but I can see that there's some truth in what the General says. We do face different forms of threat but surely we have to cover all of the possibilities and that includes what some would call traditional threats.
I simply don't trust the politicians I'm afraid. Is there a conspiracy to reduce our forces at all costs as part of a carefully managed decline of this nation. Are they perceived as a drain on the public purse as money spent on them does not win votes. I would argue against that last point at this moment in our history as there's a massive appreciation out there now for what the military is doing for us.
Surely all in each of the services should not be arguing with each other as I frequently see on this forum. What should be happening is a one for all approach to ask why the hell is defence spending already too low and why the hell are further big cuts even being considered when we can send India £800m for their schools, afford to give banks billions, allow immigrants into the country at such a rate, send millions to Brussels every day, not trim 50 % of the fat from Health, Education, local authorites and every "centrally controlled" government department (including the MoD.)
Too much red tape, bureaucracy, too many regulations and the fact that we're over governed by politicians who are concerned that their importance will wither on the vine if they're not involved in every thing that we do.
God we've got it so wrong in the UK. Time for radical changes maybe. Take responsibility for funding the armed forcs away from politicians.
Less of my babble, too much highland juice affecting the brain.
Sorry to go on.