PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Welshpool flying school to close by April
Old 22nd Jan 2002, 16:59
Daifly

I'm sorry for the people who've lost, or are losing, their jobs over this - that's not a nice position to be in at any time. And I don't feel that this had got anything to do with the standard of instructing or the state of the aircraft.. . . .WWW - you and I have been mates for a long time and I meant what I said in my e-mail, this is not the end for GA flying at Welshpool.. . . .The owner, Bob Jones, built the airfield from a grass strip. HE got all the funding to put down the tarmac strip, HE got the funding for the hangarage, HE got the funding for the additional hardstandings and taxiways, HE is the one who is seeking to develop the airport further. HE is the chap who rode his bike 15 miles each way to Sleap when he was 17 to learn to fly.. . . .Although developing the place for business traffic which, as Whirly says, was the main aim of the place is a priority - and it's fair to say that the local companies with aircraft have a far greater financial input into the local area than the flying school does, relatively (pointing out a fact, not trying to justify the development as I accept that there is a direct investment into the local economy through having students stay for three weeks) - but why would that business development then proclude the use of the place by a flying school and GA traffic? . . . .Cruise Alt - hiThe licencing aspect? I can't recall any new power lines being erected or moved in the past 11 years since the place was first granted a licence. The lines that cross short final for 22 have been there since before the airport and in case do not interfere with the TODA's or ASDA's. CAP168 Licencing of Aerodromes (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/publications/CAP_168_the_licensing_of_aerodromes.pdf) covers all aspects within the airfield boundary and everything within the safety distances. My understanding (as these rules have not changed in 10 years) is that the power lines would not pose a problem. In any case, resiting them would fall into a plan that covers the airport anyway. So I wouldn't go scaremongering too much regarding the power cables.

I realise that with the prices that many trainees were from all over the country, and yes, that did bring much needed money into the community both directly and indirectly. However, I would argue that the 'club' atmosphere that was certainly there in the first five years has dropped off considerably since.

Yes, it's bad for the wannabees (in the short term), and maybe I'm arguing this in the wrong forum, but in the long term, this is the correct decision for General Aviation in Wales.