PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Welshpool flying school to close by April
Old 22nd Jan 2002, 16:19
Impressive Wingspan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

WWW I think what boss man is driving at with his cheap and flight training don’t go together is that the instructors are not up to scratch. Fighting talk where I come from (however I did move house last week!).. .There are reasons various why the owner of Pool Aviation can offer a PPL at that price. I mean lets face it what’s the difference in terms of running costs of a Tomahawk which is charged out at 75 squid by an operator in Welshpool or 100+ in say, Liverpool (not landing fee's). The answer is the latter will be putting more per hour in his back pocket. In fact you could go a little bit further than that (as much as it pains me to say this) the illustrious owner of Pool is doing a service to the young lads who have just got their first instructing job. Getting punters in and flying all the aircraft to the max, as I’m sure WW Welshperson will testify himself certainly did the hours in his logbook no harm.. .If you are having a dig at instructors past you are quite incorrect to do so. I worked for Pool Aviation a few years ago now, and although i don't care much for the owner, all the instructors give an excellent standard of training for the time they are given with the student. As for the social life involved with Welshpool, well it was jolly good fun.. .As for the bit about the number of incidents, like WWW said it was not uncommon to be in the circuit with 5 or 6 other aircraft, 8 hrs + a day in summer 7 days a week, so get your calculator out and you’ll probably find the incident rate is quite low. . .Finally the reason people "used to fly at Welshpool" was that many people who train there live in a different part of the country. They have seen that the course is cheap, gone as a residential stude for 4 weeks and then gone home, finding a club closer to home when they have got a licence. I'm sure you will agree not that unreasonable. Yes granted he did try and get instructors to fly in weather which was less than ideal but the chaps who i worked with just stood their ground when they thought it was crap (usually). And although there is no excuse for pressurising the instructors into flying, the reason was that he needed to keep aircraft in the air so he could offer a cheap course. I am interested Boss Man, did you learn to fly at Welshpool? Because if you did,and you are from London that = I know who you are,and why you would post the way you did!!!

[ 22 January 2002: Message edited by: Impressive Wingspan ]</p>