PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2010, 16:44
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but I think the ONLY solution is not to try to compete with this middle-east over-saturated market
Valid point, Apache702. It is interesting to see how Air Arabia is seemingly moving out of the GCC market by starting up operations outside of the Gulf region. The industry here has become, if you will excuse my language, a big-ego pissing-contest in which only the richest (although not necessarily the most business-savvy) will triumph.

GlobalFlyer- if you are who you say you are, then you have no vested interest either way in the future of Gulf Air. All the more reason for me take my hat off to show my respect for your observations, which even though I don't like the bad news and would like to hear a more rosy prognosis, I respect as being a fair assessment. I am reminded about the analogy of "the Sermon that you like best is probably the one that will do you the least amount of good." It is why I have said that I don't know whether the airline is cursed or a basket case. I am already sick and tired of every single CEO who comes in with a plan that doesn't spell expansion or the acquisition of 777's, A380's or 747's automatically being labeled a crook. Who wants to even touch such a venomous organization?

I don’t like what is happening with my career either, but that is beside the point. Each and every one of us knew that we were not joining a heavyweight the likes of Emirates or Qatar Airways when we joined Gulf Air. This may well be the second large airline that I lose my job from due to economic circumstances—ironically, the first time around, during the first day of my new-hire class we were told “you guys are at the right time at the right place! We are going to grow, lots of new equipment. . . your careers will be on an elevator ride upwards!” Not even six months later there were rumors of lay-offs, and 2 years later the company filed for bankruptcy protection, I was out on the street, and the house was up for sale. Been there, done that. It isn’t pretty for anybody and I keep my resume up-to-date.

GlobalFlyer, Sal-e, Duh . . . and a few others. Wash off the feathers and tar. Your eloquent comments and observations, whilst not appreciated by all, are logical, valid and given some of the crap written on this thread, rather refreshing. Things are going to get worse before they get better.