PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF St Athan
Thread: RAF St Athan
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2010, 15:25
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
The 6000 ft RW and the narrow taxiways were probably OK for fast jets, but were distinctly tight for a VC10.

Yes, the lack of approach aids was indeed a problem. The last part of the Air Test schedule used to involve lowering the ELRAT, after which (in those days) you had to land within 10 minutes. So, if the cloud was low, we used to fly a cloudbreak over the Bristol Channel, find the visual lead-in marker and overfly the aerodrome at about 500 ft to check that it would be OK before turning downwind, dropping the ELRAT, doing the test items, then turning back in for a visual landing. Fortunately things improved in later years, although the lack of a valid excuse for a low level flyby was a pity.....

During my brief time on the mighty F4, our OC Eng Wg announced during one Met Brief that one of the jets going to St Athan for a major had a flap problem, so might have to be sent flapless...... Cue much mumbling from the assembled throng, who viewed a flapless landing on a 6000 ft RW with a distinct lack of enthusiasm. "I'll go in the back seat, if you like", offered the well-meaning Wg Cdr. "You can go in the bloody front seat", came a reply from the floor, causing the Stn Cdr to titter. "Ahh, OC Eng, I think we'll sort the flaps out before it goes to St. Athan", he concluded!