PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aeronautical engineering degree
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2010, 06:26
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djfingerscrossed
BUT I must say that the social skills I manage to grasp during my university days were invaluable. I'm not saying go to university and come out a necessarily better person but it definitely gives you the opportunity to round your character. Of course going into paid employment will offer the same opportunities.
Oh I agree it certainly does offer that opportunity, I do think though, sometimes, some life skills are only picked up when Mum and Dad really cut the umbilical cord and for many that can be after university. For most it is an excellent opportunity for self development, all I would say is that I think that has more to do with the individuals inherent personal attributes as opposed to the environment they are in, people who CHOOSE to go to university (as oppose to falling into it) seem to get the most out of it, but I think the same can be said of those who CHOOSE not to and pursue a non academic path.

Take two of the house mates I have had in my life; the first during university studying somethingology. The only thing he was committed to for the few years I knew him was his bong and not washing. Not to say he wasn't very interesting and a good (yet smelly) mate but god help him in the real world clasping his 2:2 and an ounce.

The other didn't go to uni, self improved at a city business, did the courses necessary, now may be looking at distance learning with the OU but in the meantime has been very successful - worked hard to achieve.

There are plenty of examples I could think of the other way around though, I just get slightly uncomfortable with generalisations, especially this one

On the aircraft front, I love learning about the intricacies of the aircraft I am flying but the day the skipper comes to me and asks me to go back and have a look at the turbine is a day we are all in trouble. (Not only do I not hole a degree which would enable me to deal with such things I am doubtful as to my ability to speed tape her up at FL370).

My main point remains: Got the opportunity, go to uni, but do it for the right reasons and do the right course for you.