PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Food for thought: Amazon Kindle DX for pilots
Old 16th Jan 2010, 23:15
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dusk2dawn
Great! Anyone with a reference to EASAs requirements for handheld electronic devices?

Genghis, does your Sony-thingy have sort of a flight-mode permitting it to be turned on during the entire flight?
It has no capability for wireless communication, so that shouldn't be a problem.

If anybody gets anal about it, there's a single on-off switch, and it doesn't change anything about the display or mode whilst switched off, and only takes a couple of seconds.

I admit that I wouldn't mind a slightly larger screen, so would quite like to have a play with the new big-screen kindle.

PDFs are usually fine, it has a reasonable greyscale and good resolution: I often use it for reading scentific papers, which can be quite hard on anything. The biggest headache is that the zoom can be a bit clunky, so if the pdfs are A5ish for A5ish content it's fine, but if they're A5 in the middle of a page of A4 then whilst you can read them, it becomes really quite irritating.

G