PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2010, 22:16
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cliff, I have a friend who is in the German diplomatic service. He's attempting to put me in touch with some German ex-service organisations, so hopefully, we might get to hear from one or two ex-Luftwaffe people in the not too distant future. (We may, however, be in need of a translator if that comes to pass. Is there anyone out there willing to offer his or her services?)

----

I've also been in touch with Dudley Marrows, the captain of Peter Jenson's Sunderland when they sank U461 and when they were shot down by the Ju88s in the Bay of Biscay. He's never put pen to paper, but says (to quote him):

I intend to write three books.
1/ on action,
2/ "pre pill pilots (or aircrew)! (not sure of the significance of 'pre pill' - Wiley.)[
3/ on the absolutely wonderful phase our 'blue orchid' uniforms gave us overseas - especially before the Yanks came in! (Now that sounds like it would be an interesting tale, if perhaps possibly bringing a few blushes to the brows of some Canadian and British Great Grandmothers!)

Want a secretary/typist though.
I passed Dudley a copy of Peter's story. His comments follow.

Essentially, Peter's coverage is very good. From a captain/pilot's point of view, I could embellish/enlarge it.

Ask Peter why he did not cover the blockade runner flight - one which, to me, was the most successful and stressful - 12 hours or so of stress.

We were 'deep in it' when Churchill made a statement along the lines: "...if we do not get another large convoy through with food and ammunition, we are finished."

Refer our blockade runner episode - reverse the players and it might give some indication of what a blow the loss of those two ships was to the Germans.
If there's a PPruner out there who lives anywhere near Mildura and who'd be interested in sticking a microphone under Dudley's nose, please PM me and I'll contact Dudley to see if he'd be willing to tell his tale(s). (I must stress here that I have not yet approached him with that suggestion.)

I believe it would be a worthwhile project. I'd hate to see all those experiences lost to history when that generation leaves us.

Last edited by Wiley; 18th Jan 2010 at 01:28. Reason: Correction (thank you regle)