PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aeronautical engineering degree
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2010, 21:09
raven777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope this helps

Dear Grey,

Let me introduce myself, I am a 4th year (and final year) undergraduate student currently studying Masters of Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial College London. I want to share my background with you so it may help you to make your decision. At the age of 16, I started flying Vigilant gliders with the Royal Air Force CCF (Combat Cadet Force) at Samlesbury, England. I was fortunate to be awarded with a gliding scholarship and had achieved a solo flight at the age of 17 (before I could drive). The trainings I received were tremendously enjoyable and I wouldn’t swap it for anything. And at that moment, I knew instantly I wanted to pursue a career as a commercial pilot.
I am not from a wealthy background; I could afford school because of scholarships. I was never in a position where I could afford the expensive flying hours required to gain any pilot licences, nevermind the ‘inexpensive’ PPL. So I had two options, study a degree or join the RAF for 18 years.

So there I was at the age of 17, filling out my UCAS form, I knew Aeronautics was the best choice for me because it is something to do with planes and aviation. And I did Maths & Physics for A-levels. I enjoyed solving problems you see. I was absolutely delighted to have made it into Imperial, but then to find out the course was (and it still is) seriously difficult. However, I have met so many great friends during my time here and met great students and staff who share the passion for aviation. That is a network of friends you cannot find if you decided to go on and do fATPL.

In essence, the degree has matured my overall attributes required to become a pilot. I learnt to deal with difficult situations, both personally and academically. I have become a better team player by working in internships during my summer holidays. My communication skills have definitely improved as I interact with people from different cultural background every day. So all in all, I believe it is an all-round talented pilot that airliners are looking for, especially if you are thinking to apply for top airliners. It’s not just a licence with low hours and no type rating.

My next step is to get into the cadet pilot program for X airline and recently I have received an invitation for 1st interview. I’m still in my early 20s and I am confident I can always get a fATPL in my 40+ years career path (provided I stay medically fit), but I can’t always graduate with one of the most prestigious and rewarding Engineering degree.

Let me tell you why I think Aeronautics is a prestigious Engineering degree. I actually get to design a plane for my final year project. I am aiming to reconstruct a Grob Tutor, so I'll be doing calculations on the flight dynamics and the aerodynamics aspects of the aircraft. (I'm not really a structural guy). The initial model will be tested in X-plane during the early stages. Eventually, as my model iterates and hopefully improve in its dynamics. I will be given an unique opportunity to test it in a FAA-approved full motion Flight Simulator in our department (costs 5 million pounds). It excites me because I know it is only an Aeronautical Engineering degree which gives me this opportunity. How many ATPL pilots in this world can say at FL350, they know how to design a plane?

Nevertheless, I know it doesn't really help you in terms of actually becoming an professional pilot. But look at Michael Schumacher and Lewis Hamilton for example, they are both exceptional drivers. They drive their F1s to limits, because they know every aspect of driving and excel both technically and practically. I think you get my point there. To become someone good, you have to be exceptional first.

I really hope speaking from a personal point of view has helped you making your decision.

Best Regards,
Raven777

P.S. During my time here, I have met the most amazing girl, who shares the same passion and background as me. I cannot tell you how weird but yet amazing to find someone so similar to me. It’s the degree that brought us together. But I let her go though, the only thing in life I regret. Don't make the same mistake as me, what ever you decide it's likely to be a good one but make sure it's something you wouldn't regret in the future.

Last edited by raven777; 21st Jan 2010 at 04:48.