PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - List of "Pay-to-Fly" airlines
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2010, 20:42
B-HVY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading this thread over the past few days, and found it very worrying that PTF schemes with 150/250 hours are being offered not just by ruthless "flight training" companies but these companies being run by airline captains! This is why PTF can't be stopped, at least in its current form! These individuals are within the airline, they charge the chap next to them to fly with them! A name has been made in the thread a few pages earlier, but I wouldn't be surprised if many more were involved. Upon some research, the same name seems to have been involved in a project that never took off, 747 Freighter venture in Greece. Ring any bells anyone?
It is disturbing that these people have the nerve to sit comfortably in their career chair whilst others who are attempting to start out are put in front of a choice like "pay us xxK and we'll give you xx hours on xxx a/c" and then after that, off you go, just as inexperienced, unmarketable to other airlines, with an empty wallet.
This is the problem, with the "supply" coming from within the very profession, this "cancer" will never be eradicated! Someone said elsewhere, "demand" needs to be cut, but I'm afraid there will ALWAYS be someone with heavily-loaded pockets, someone whose dad is a Donald Trump, someone who has "set aside enough" (on a different thread, a certain individual in his late 30s or so claimed to have saved enough to buy up to 1000 hours of line time if necessary! How do you stop that?!?). The chain must be broken on the supply side.
The pilot community must find the unity and cohesion (especially in the LCCs!!! But not just those carriers of course, see bmi in the UK..) necessary to tackle this problem from within, break the supply chain, attract suitable candidates to the profession with appropriate airline involvement and selection.

Last edited by B-HVY; 16th Jan 2010 at 20:47. Reason: grammEr review!