PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A sad end, is it in your logbook?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2010, 19:09
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KiloNovember,

PLEASE do follow up any leads you can - for example the FA2 & GR3 are most certainly fit for museums, I don't remember even Duxford having a Sea Harrier 1 or 2 ( well I suppose it has to be an FA2 anyway, as ALL FRS1 airframes were converted in the ' Mid Life Update ' and Yeoviltons' example of an FRS1 is a composite GR3 + bits - shame on the Navy for that and the Historic Flight!

Duxford with it's GR3, just as Tangmere with it's FA2, have made the mistake of thinking U/C locks cure everything; the nose leg needs to be periodically charged, Tangmere are just beginning to learn this ( internal politics are to the fore with all museums, engineers brilliant at some things know sod all about others ).

The last time I saw the GR3 at Duxford it was almost resting on it's chin, and the FA2 example at Tangmere is headed that way.

However those are minor details; quite a lot of pilots have flown Harrier 1's, not only FAA & RAF but how about U.S. Marines & others just 'plain' interested ? It will draw in plenty of punters, especially if an explanatory video or someone who knows how it works is to hand.

It will apparently forever remain a shame on the FAA that their historic flight does not include a Sea Harrier, considering its' historic achievements, + it's a relatively small aircraft to handle & hangar; are the skills to fly it REALLY that far gone ?!

Art Nalls seems to do OK - RN, bring it on !