PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aeronautical engineering degree
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2010, 18:27
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Davy07
Just to add..

I noticed the Cathay Pacific Airlines cadet pilot programme requires that you hold a Degree in their requirements. I know this is different than going straight into the job itself but just thought I would add.
No they don't you missed an important word which i will highlight..

5 passes in Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination / GCSE (O Level) including Physics and Mathematics, together with 2 passes in Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination / GCE A Level, Science subjects preferred OR
Passes in Physics and Mathematics to year 10 and completed high school with the required university entrance qualifications, Science subjects preferred OR
Hold a degree or diploma in any discipline.
Sorry - but I wouldn't want someone getting the wrong Idea and not applying as a result.

Okay again I will say it "Go and get a degree". Don't do it in Aeronautical Engineering for the sake of it though - especially if you have no intention of ever wishing to work in AE or hate it or don't have the aptitude for it.

Do something you love, something that will be a good back up and something you will pass. (Try to resist the rubbish ones though - you know the ones).

I'd also just like to point out one of the niggles though that these threads always bring up. Holding a degree does not prove maturity, dedication, determination or some magical level of aptitude. Yes they are useful, yes, by all means if you have the opportunity to get one you should, but beware anyone who says that having a degree makes you a better person - this person is most likely a t@sser.

I have lived with graduates and non graduates and it was never a determining factor in who was better at their job, or more clever or for that matter more able to look after themselves on a day to day basis.

Sorry just needed to clear that one up.

Last edited by Matt101; 16th Jan 2010 at 18:37.