PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avast vs AVG
Thread: Avast vs AVG
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2010, 17:49
Tosh McCaber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avast vs AVG

I notice a recent thread noting problems with AVG.

I used to have Free AVG installed, with a regular scan taking place every night. No great problems. I heard that Kapersky was superior, and bought and tried it. However, it slowed that system greatly.

I then heard favourable reports about Avast, and loaded it up in place of AVG a few months ago. Even though it’s the free version of Avast, it has an ongoing virus/ malware scan, which often slows things considerably, as I wait for a scan to complete when I download or even open files already on the computer. Since it is supposed to constantly monitor, I don’t often carry out a manual scan.

I carried out a real time scan when I loaded up Avast. Yesterday, after Avast flagged up malware in an incoming email, I carried out another, and was taken aback to find that it found no less than 22 viruses and malware. Not only that, every time that it found an infected file, it refused to progress until I responded as to what to do with the malware- delete or send to the Avast Vault. All in all, a 15 hour scanning operation for three hard drives- a 200Gb, and two 400GB drives.

I’m seriously considering going back to Free AVG, since Avast does not have an automated regular scanning process, and even if it did, it would appear that I would have to constantly monitor it.

I wonder why infected files have not have been flagged up in the constant monitoring process?