PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - fault light on the b737ng
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2010, 17:16
airborneforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fault light on the b737ng

Hi,
one more for you guys.
If the APU fault detection system is faulty, you get a apu det inop light along with a master caution and the system annunciator light. NNC says donot run the apu and to switch it off if it is running. if the same fault is there for dispatch, the mel says that the apu is not to used at any time on the ground or in the air.
now, my question is that if there is a fault in the engine overheat detection system, the fault light will come on, but without an accompanying master caution, why?
doesnt it seem a bit strange that the apu det inop gets a master caution but not the engine fault light?
and if the same fault exists on the ground for both loops on one engine, you cant be dispatched, the aircraft is simply not airworthy. so what do you when the fault light comes on again in the air and you have no way of finding out which loop has perished now?
the checklist at no point of time asks for a landing asap or ansa.
regards,
a

P.S. If i am the captain and i get the fault light in the air, i am putting down ANSA.
you have no way of knowing whether one or both loops have gone. and if both have gone, then its a pretty serious situation.
but then again, i am not a captain, so i'd rather ask all of you and learn.