PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 45 minutes in a T-33
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2010, 15:20
Trolltuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello TCF. If you please, allow me a few observations on your "numpty" post.

Whilst that I wouldn't wish to denegrate any historical statement made by anyone, this sort of disclosure doesn't neccessarily mean that there is a case for supporting the (so-called) heroic exploits of someone who 'thought' that he/she was equal in his/her capabilities of that of a fully qualified pilot;....
I agree. Nowhere in my post will you find a suggestion to the contrary. As far as "disclosure", yes, this may be new on PPRuNe, but has been well known in Norway - a small society by UK standards - for over 50 years.

The term 'stupidity' comes to mind; there again, there have been quite a few instances of 'idiots' who were also pretentious in thinking that they too; were pilots?
If you wish. As opposed to "stupid idiot", I guess I'd prefer "acting stupidly and idiotically" at age 21. Don't know about you, but I pulled a few escapades when younger that I'd rather forget.

In risking life or limb; without any thought for others, this particular flight came to rest just short of destroying the whole flight-line of many other very expensive jet aircraft... and the lives of people working on the ground.
Yes. Not good, huh?

Contrarary to popular belief; no, this doesn't show that any old 'Joe-Public' can handle a jet aeroplane; or, come to think of it; any other type of aeroplane... piston, floats, or glider.
Nor did I suggest it did. Not sure whether it's really a "popular belief" - perhaps amongst the non-flying public, but likely not amongst those of us with actual authority as pilot-in-command. Some in the latter group, I have found, are especially threatened that "Alpine" (his real name was Arne) managed to survive the joy ride at all.

.... despite my not inconsidderable flying experience as a F/E, I wouldn't have dreampt; not in my wildest dreams, of climbing aboard even the simplest form of jet trainer
Nor would I, even with my flight experience (as I outlined in my post above in reply to Bigmouth).

What a 'numpty'!
Numpty. Now that's one I had to look up ! (you can probably tell that my "English" is really more "American", although I confess a great fondness for the Queen's language).

I disagree - but then I knew him for most of my life. I'd go so far as "exhibiting the character of a numpty at a time when young". Or perhaps, as I did, label him a miscreant - I'm now thinking that was too harsh.

If it were my elder brother who took to the skies in such an innapropriate manner I wouldn't be too keen to advertise it to the rest of the world; especially on PPRuNe!
Huh? Why not? I was seven years old when this took place and certainly not my older brother's keeper. I think PPRuNe is a great place to seek the technical and historical data I asked for in my post. I'm curious as to why you don't agree.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'm still hoping someone will know someone who can help fill in the missing pieces of the story.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited by Trolltuner; 16th Jan 2010 at 17:42.