PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I can't wait for electric/hybrid aircraft.
Old 16th Jan 2010, 13:12
Charles E Taylor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- That's the waste product!! You can use (typically) hydrogen, methanol or ethanol to feed a fuel cell. Water can be used as a fuel, but only if you split it into H2 and O2 first - which obviously takes more energy that the fuel cell delivers in electricity.

My original answer was much too flippant.

This Boeing led programme was heavily backed by the Spanish government and Involved lots of Spanish Technologies. The fuel came from the Hydrosol-2 project at Almeria in Spain and is indeed Water based. At least that’s what I was told when I took the photos!
Some more information can be found here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrosol-2

There are other less appreciated problems with Battery fuel storage for aircraft, one problem being that the “fuel weight fraction” does not diminish during the flight. This leads to significant structural weight increase particularly the landing gear and associated structure.

Current automotive applications involve 600 Volt Systems. Requiring some considerable safety case work, most of which has not yet been examined by experience.

There is still a long way to go.

Charlie