PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real forced landings with animals in the field
Old 16th Jan 2010, 10:32
jonkil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a pilot and as a person who was raised and still live on a farm, can I make the following observations:

1. This point is academic, but worth making.... A COW cannot be a BULL !
A COW is a Female bovine animal, a BULL on the other hand is male.....
Collectively they are cattle, the amount of people who I hear stating "look at the lovely cows" when they are in fact looking at a field of bulls, well were at one time bulls, now with their nuts rendered inoperative !... so Bullocks.... (not to you lot, they really are bullocks)

2. People say that a field with a Bull can be dangerous, is true in some circumstances.... A solitary bull in a field with no female animals near is more than likely to go lie at the other end of the field from you.... On the other hand if you were to end up in a field with a Bull who is there to "take care of business" with cows (see, Female... all making sense now fellas) you may get more than you bargained for... he will do all he can to protect his girls.

3. The most dangerous cattle you will end up with is a COW (Female.... keep reading, it gets better) with a calf at foot, she is in every likelihood going to attack to protect her young, especially if she perceives you as a threat, and yes a solitary cow in a field seeing a large bird arriving will be inquisitive and VERY protective of her young.
To my cost I know this, I was reared on a farm where many hundred cattle were reared and I was nearly killed with a solitary Cow with a calf at foot, ended up in hospital for weeks with broken ribs and arms, only for the fast actions of a farmworker who actually killed her with a tractor I would have been gone.
Many years later my late father nearly suffered the same fate, but this time it was a bull, he went into a yard with a bull and a few cows, the bull attacked and he was lucky to escape with his life.

So, there is mis-conceptions there, but do treat cattle with caution, the fact that everyone thinks a BULL is dangerous is to an extent true, but a COW can be much more dangerous..... Waving a "red rag to a bull", another myth, they are colour blind, but waving any colour of rag to a bull should be at best avoided, unless of course you live in Spain and frequent a large circular structure dressed like a ponce.

Jon