PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2010, 09:31
herkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nearly 40 years since I had reason to address an 04 and above, and yet it was like nothing had changed. After all as a SGT I was expected to call those at Squadron Leader rank and above as Sir. Did not stop me have a good relationship with some and sound friendships with others. When after being out for 30 years I ran into the same people again, it seemed very natural and proper to call them Sir. What was very unusual to me, as a civilian making presentations to a group of senior officers, the situation was reversed and I did not find it strange.

I think in regard to your applications should be important, is that your actions show that you both understand the traditions of address and the requirements when addressing someone senior to one self. After all you are very low in the pecking order. As a QFI indicated to me, having just severly bawling out a would be co pilot, "they have to learn humility and then I can teach them, as long as they think at 250 hours they know it all, they are useless".

I am sure that my chances of being selected was increased on my interview board, when the correct process of addressing the people who were senior to me was used. I would suggest the same to you.

As a former military man, you should know the proceedure, and I for one was on the panel, I work mark you down for your lack of respect if you did not address the board correctly..

After all you are asking to be selected, and you be able to show that you could intergrate back into the service. If you were not an ex military man, it clearly shows that have taken the trouble to find out the correct proceedures.

Sometimes in being gentle and respectfull to others, you show a side of your character that can otherwise be missed.

Nothing nicer than to be on Parade, and to here some junior officer calling out his flights or squadrons status.

"ALL CORRECT SIR"

See it works all ways.

Wish you all the best, do not forget you have some very good competition.

Regards

Col