PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dear Minister. Your airport security is a farce because...
Old 16th Jan 2010, 04:01
Icarus53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious question - can anyone tell me why we now have to present aerosols for inspection? This seemed to creep in at one particular port and now most seem to have followed suit. Aside from the international regs on GLAs, I cannot find anything to suggest that screening of aerosols for domestic flights is required, nor can I figure out what security benefit is obtained.

On asking to see said aerosol, guard glances at it and says "fine". On questioning staff about the requirement, I am offered anything between a disinterested "Don't know" through to a belligerent "We're just doing our job SIR".

Someone once told me that they had to check that the cap was on the aerosol as otherwise it constituted DG. If this was the case, I presume all security staff have been trained in DG Awareness and should be issuing some sort of paperwork that certifies my deoderant as being safe to fly.

None of the Government required signage at security points makes any mention of a requirement to remove aerosols, nor do any of the regulations mention it.

My questions therefore: 1) Who was the git that told these morons that they should be checking for aerosols; and 2) Which git do I speak to in order to have them stopped?

(Today's rant brought to you by Rexona, and my realisation that if I start in on any of the other stupid c&#p that passes as security procedure in Australian airports, I will have an ulcer and a coronary before leaving the keyboard).